Do you need a plumber to install a gas geyser?
If you were wondering whether you need a plumber to install a gas geyser, you’d be correct. However, a plumber is not the only tradesperson required for this task. You’ll also need a qualified gas technician to install and connect the gas line.
Given the increasing price of electricity in South Africa, and the unreliability of the power supply from Eskom due to rolling black outs (load shedding) gas geysers are becoming increasingly popular.
Advantages of a gas geyser in the home:
- Hot water on demand (no waiting for the element to heat)
- More energy efficient than electric geyser
- Works even when there’s no power
- Can cut your power bill by 30 – 40%
- Doesn’t need to be installed in the ceiling
If you are considering installing a gas geyser as part of your home load shedding solution, here are a few things to keep in mind.
What is a gas geyser?
A gas geyser is a type of home water heater that uses natural gas as its source of heat. Gas geysers are more efficient than electric water heaters, and they can also provide hot water on demand. Because gas geysers need to be plumbed into your home along with a gas line, they must be installed by a qualified plumber and a gas technician.
What do you need to install a gas geyser?
If you’re considering installing a gas geyser, there are a few things you’ll need to take into account. First, you’ll need to have a gas line installed in your home. This must be done by a certified professional, because you’ll need a certificate of compliance for the installation for safety and insurance purposes.
Once you have the gas line installed, you’ll need to purchase the gas geyser itself and have it installed by a professional.
Why should you get a plumber to install a gas geyser?
If you are thinking about installing a gas geyser, you may be wondering if you need to hire a professional to do it. The answer is yes, you should get a plumber to install a gas geyser. You should also get a qualified gas technician for this job.
Here are some reasons why:
- Gas geysers must be installed by a qualified person. Only a qualified person can connect the gas supply to the geyser.
- A professional will ensure that the installation is done safely and up to code. This is important because gas leaks can be very dangerous.
- A professional will be able to give you a certificate of compliance for your installation. This is a legal requirement for any home gas installation.
- A professional will also be able to give you advice on the best type of gas geyser for your home and how to properly maintain it.
- Finally, if something does go wrong with your gas geyser after it has been installed, a professional will be able to come and fix it for you.
How much does it cost to have a professional install a gas geyser?
You may be wondering how much it will cost to have a plumber and a gas technician install your new gas geyser. The answer to this question depends on a few different factors, such as the type of gas geyser you have, the size of your home, the age of your plumbing infrastructure, and the complexity of the installation.
Generally speaking, the gas technician should charge you for a day’s labour at his hourly rate. It takes time to install a gas line safely in your home. The plumber will also likely charge you for half a day’s labour, or a full day’s labour, depending on the complexity of your home plumbing. If your home is large or the installation is particularly complex, you may end up paying more. To get an accurate estimate of what it will cost to have your gas geyser installed, it’s best to contact a few different plumbers in your area and get quotes.
It’s important to bear in mind, however, that the advantages of having a gas geyser (and the cost savings from an electricity perspective) will pay off in the long run.
What do you need to know about the gas geyser installation?
A gas geyser will be mounted onto a wall, and not inside the ceiling. The position of the gas geyser is very important. Besides being installed according to gas safety regulations, it is important to install the gas geyser as close to where hot water will be used. The reason for this is:
- The hot water takes time to get to your tap. Gas geysers will heat up water almost instantly, but the water already in the pipes needs to be expelled before the hot water can come out of your tap. The shorter the distance the hot water has to travel to your tap the shorter your wait for hot water.
- You want to prevent heat loss. The longer the hot water takes to get to your tap the more heat it will lose while traveling to your tap. The longer the pipe run, the more heat that will be lost.
Advantages and disadvantages of a gas geyser
If you’re considering switching to a gas geyser, it’s important to weigh the pros and cons before making a decision. Gas geysers are more expensive to purchase and install than electric ones, but they tend to be more energy-efficient and have a longer lifespan. They also heat water faster than electric geysers, so if you have a large family or high water usage, a gas geyser may be the better option.
On the downside, gas geysers require regular maintenance, and must be installed by a qualified professional. If there is a gas leak, it can be dangerous, so it’s important to have your gas installation serviced regularly. You will also need to remember to replace your gas bottle when it runs out, otherwise you’ll be having cold showers until you do.
Conclusion: Hire the right professional to install your gas geyser and you won’t regret it!
Even though a gas geyser isn’t something you should install on your own, hiring a professional to do the job is not something you’re likely to regret. Along with a reduction in your home electricity bill (or your prepaid electricity consumption) you’ll soon come to appreciate the convenience of hot water on demand. So if you’re looking to reduce your dependence on Eskom, installing a gas geyser is one of the most effective ways to ensure that load shedding does not interfere with your family’s hot water requirements.
Need to find a plumber or a gas technician near you? Find everything you need on the Home+ app today, including vetted, trustworthy tradespeople for all your home improvement requirements.
Interested in reading more about reducing your home electricity consumption and saving money? Take a look at these tips for making the most of your prepaid electricity budget.
Share this article